Year 6 to 7 Transition at Causeway
Moving up to secondary school is a very important step in a young person’s life. Here at Causeway we understand how critical it is to make the transition from primary school as smooth as possible.
Year 6 starts with choosing a school with your child. Our Open Evening gives you the opportunity to tour the school and talk to current students and staff about the Causeway experience and hear the Headteacher speak. We hold Open Mornings each day at 9.15 am or 10.15 am from Monday 24th September 2018 to Friday 12th October 2018 so you can tour the school and see first-hand the school at work, speak to the Headteacher and ask questions to some of our year 7 students about their experiences. Please do phone the office to book one of these tours.
Overview of Causeway School Transition programme:
As soon as your choice of school is confirmed by the local authority we will contact you and send out a letter outlining our Transition Programme. We will also contact your child’s primary school to arrange a visit, so we can meet your child and speak to their teacher about how we can support your child best in their education and transition. Our SENCo will contact schools separately regarding any special educational needs your child may have and will make contact with you to plan support. We identify any children who may need extra transition support, in the form of visits to the school in a small group to meet key staff and get used to the school environment.
- As soon as your choice of school is confirmed by the local authority, we will make contact via a letter to outline our programme.
- We begin visiting primary schools as soon as places have been allocated in March, working with Year 6 teachers and SENCOs to ensure we are fully prepared for each individual student in our care.
- The Transition team will arrange to visit your son/daughter in their primary school to deliver an assembly and will answer any questions they may have about moving to Causeway.
- Some Year 6 students will be from small schools where they may be the only student coming to Causeway, so we have a special day for them to meet other students in a similar position and we buddy them up.
- As part of the programme we will run Master classes in a variety of subjects and after school clubs so all our new students can experience something they enjoy, and get to know the school, whilst meeting new friends, before they start in September.
- Parents and carers will be invited in on Monday 1st July 2019 to meet their tutor and attend an information evening about preparing for Causeway School, and how to support your son/daughter to achieve their very best once they start.
- Year 7 Transition Day will take place on Tuesday 2nd July 2019. On this day all our new students will experience the Causeway in action. Students take part in a variety of activities during the day, meeting current students and dining in our canteen.
- The support and communication continues as your son/daughter becomes part of Causeway School with an autumn term Year 7 Tutor Evening.
When the big day comes in September, our new Year 7 students will be fully supported with getting to grips with reading a timetable, moving around the site and making friends.
If you have any questions or concerns about the transition process and you would like to discuss in more detail, please contact Mrs V Jenkins, Assistant headteacher at the school for further information at email@example.com or call 01323 465700.
Please note our key dates below.
- ESCC important dates – secondary school admissions
Key Dates for Year 6-7 Transition 2018-19:
- Transition Evening – Monday 1st July 2019
- New Intake Taster Day – Tuesday 2nd July 2019